Into each year, comes the day of your birth. I hope you will join us on January 31st to celebrate YOU! We will have cake and this year we hope to have plenty of presents. The presents, though, are for children who would not have a birthday party without our help. For details on how to help please read the message below from Julia Motl Lowe and Nick Lowe.
Each year in January, we celebrate our collective birthdays with a cake-filled party in Fellowship Hall after worship. This year, we will be celebrating on January 31. It is always a lot of fun to figure out which cake was made for your month and celebrate together.
For several years on their actual birthdays, our boys (William and Charlie) have been collecting party supplies and presents for kids who might not otherwise have a birthday party. We donate them to Birthday Wishes, an organization that brings birthday parties to homeless children in the Boston area. It is an accessible way for younger kids to understand compassion and charity, and certainly has always pulled on our heartstrings to think of little ones not getting to celebrate their big days.
This year, we thought that as we celebrate our collective MHCC birthdays on January 31, people may like to join us and bring in something to stock Birthday Wishes shelves.
A collection box from Birthday Wishes will be in the back of the sanctuary for you to drop your donations off at any time during the month of January. We will drop off everything we collect at MHCC to the Northern MA/Southern NH branch. You can find more information about Birthday Wishes at www.birthdaywishes.org
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Julia at: email@example.com
Birthday Wishes for Northern MA/Southern NH wish list is:
- Birthday wrapping paper
- Packs of balloons, blowers, party hats, and happy birthday banners
- Solid colored table cloths ins pink, purple, red and blue
- Plates and napkins (no cups) in birthday themes (this is a HUGE need)
- Plastic forks
- Games for teens (Rubix Cube, Hangman, Sudoku, Jenga, Bop-it, deck of cards, Backgammon)
- Basketballs, footballs, sport water bottles
- Nail polish and gifts for teen girls (jewelry, handbags, books, journals, art kits, science kits)
- Toys for children turning 1 and 2: musical toys, baby dolls, stacking blocks, board books
- $20-$30 gift cards for teens: Target, Walmart, iTunes and Dunkin Donuts
Birthday Wishes cannot accept:
- Anything used. All donations must be absolutely brand new.
- Toy guns or weapons
- Goody bag items that present a choking hazard to children under 3
- Clothing, toiletries, etc. for adults
- Any party supplies that are not in unopened, original packaging